In September 1519, a Portuguese explorer and a crew of 270 men set sail from Spain trying to find a sea route west, through the Americas.
Three years later, 18 of the men returned, tired and hungry, but becoming the first people to have successfully completed a full circle of the Earth.
- Introduction to The Age of Exploration
- The Treaty of Tordesillas
- Seeking a route west to The Spice Islands
- Magellan presents his idea to King Charles V of Spain
- Why was the Spanish king listening to a Portuguese explorer?
- The early life of Ferdinand Magellan
- A “career-minded daredevil"
- Why were spices in such high demand?
- Why did Magellan sail for Spain, not Portugal?
- The start of the expedition
- The first mutiny
- Finding a passage through South America
- Crossing The Pacific Ocean
- Arriving at Guam
- Magellan's death in The Philippines
- Arriving at The Spice Islands
- The journey back to Spain
- The legacy of the expedition
- Who was the first person to have circumnavigated the globe?
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/ferdinand-magellan
You might like:
📧 Join the weekly newsletter
🚀 Get all the bonus episodes & transcripts
💸 Get $10 free italki credit
💬 Save 50% on Preply private English teachers
✍️ Free English Grammar Checker