In 1745 Charles Stuart arrived on the west coast of Scotland with the aim of taking back the throne of England, Scotland and Ireland.
It didn't go as planned and resulted in the last battle fought on British soil.
In this episode, we'll learn about his failed rebellion, and the legacy he has left on Great Britain.
- The early life of Bonnie Prince Charlie
- Relationship Bonnie Prince Charlie and Mary Queen of Scots
- Meaning of "Pretender" in English
- The Divine Right of Kings
- Arriving in Scotland in 1745
- Life in Britain under the Hanoverians
- The Highland Clans
- Marching towards Edinburgh
- Marching south towards London
- Stopping at Derby and turning back north
- What if the French had come to help?
- Who actually was in the Jacobite and government armies?
- The night before Culloden
- The Battle of Culloden
- The aftermath of the battle
- “Run, you cowardly Italian”
- The life of Bonnie Prince Charlie after Culloden
- Suppression of Highlandism after the battle
- Three unusual facts about Bonnie Prince Charlie
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/bonnie-prince-charlie
You might like:
📧 Join the weekly newsletter
🚀 Get all the bonus episodes & transcripts
💸 Get $10 free italki credit
💬 Save 50% on Preply private English teachers
✍️ Free English Grammar Checker