She is the longest-serving monarch in British history and has lived through 14 British prime ministers and 13 US presidents.
In this episode, we'll take a look at the remarkable life of Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor, and ask ourselves how she, the monarchy, and the country have changed since she became queen almost 70 years ago.
- Why Elizabeth was an unlikely queen
- King Edward VIII and his abdication
- The death of King George VI
- The young life of Elizabeth
- Becoming queen in 1952
- The changing world in 1952
- The personal life of Queen Elizabeth
- How much do we actually know about her views?
- How has the British monarchy changed since she took the throne?
- Is Queen Elizabeth still popular in Britain?
- The controversies of Queen Elizabeth
- 1992: her "annus horribilis"
- Recent controversies: Windsor Castle, Diana, Harry & Meghan, Prince Andrew
- The language of Queen Elizabeth: "The Queen's English"
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/queen-elizabeth-ii
You might like:
📧 Join the weekly newsletter
🚀 Get all the bonus episodes & transcripts
💸 Get $10 free italki credit
💬 Save 50% on Preply private English teachers
✍️ Free English Grammar Checker