Part Two of our Brexit mini-series focuses on the Brexit vote itself.
In this episode, we'll look at why the UK held a referendum in the first place, how the campaign was fought, who voted for and against Brexit (and for what reasons), and why it was ultimately the vote to leave the European Union that proved successful.
- Recap of Britain's complicated relationship with Europe
- Why did the UK hold a referendum on EU membership in the first place?
- The rise of Euroscepticism & UKIP
- David Cameron & the Conservative Party
- Did people care about the EU before the Brexit vote?
- "Indescribably selfish recklessness"
- The Brexit campaign: Leave vs. Remain
- Reluctant Remainers
- Messaging of the Remain campaign ("An Unnecessary Risk")
- Messaging of the Leave campaign ("Take Back Control")
- Who voted to remain?
- Who voted to leave?
- “I think the people of this country have had enough of experts”
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/brexit-part-2
You might like:
📧 Join the weekly newsletter
🚀 Get all the bonus episodes & transcripts
💸 Get $10 free italki credit
💬 Save 50% on Preply private English teachers
✍️ Free English Grammar Checker